Bacon-wrapped Pineapple Mozzarella Rings (a.k.a. Bacon Donuts)
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 am
- 16-24 slices of bacon
- 1 can of sliced pineapple rings (we need 8 rings)
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 2-3 large sweet yellow onion, cut into ⅓ inch rings
- (SYD) Meat rub of your choice
- Peel and cut the large onion into ⅓ inch slices.
- Open the can of pineapple slices, drain the juice and set aside 8 slices.
- Match the onion rings to the size of the pineapple slices—choose rings that have more of a bowl shape to help hold the string cheese in place.
- Tear the mozzarella string cheese in half.
- Place one half of the mozzarella in the onion ring and cut the other half to fill in the remaining gap. Place the cut piece filling in the gap.
- Stack the mozzarella lined onion ring on the pineapple and start wrapping with bacon slices. Use two to three slices of bacon per ring. Just take it slow and keep it all in place and it will eventually wrap—sometimes it takes some repositioning or re-stuffing of string cheese into ring.
- Once all wrapped, sprinkle on some SYD meat rub to your liking.
- Start up the Weber kettle (or your grill of choice) and cook indirect at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Optionally glaze with your favorite sauce.Let cool down for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as marinara.